Last week, I only focused on my
favorite female character Sameen Shaw, so this week I will go into details on other
amazing women in the show Person of Interest.
Joss Carter was definitely the
most outstanding woman in the first two seasons. She was always the core of the
story before she died in the middle of the third season. She was so upright,
warm-hearted and tough. She was never lost in pursuing the justice even she sacrificed
herself in the end. She did not expect that she could save everyone in the
world, but she tried her best to protect everybody around her. Not acting like
a saint, she could be selfish for her only son. And she was irritable sometimes.
Her relationship with the main character John Reese was delicate throughout the
whole time. She had never approved Reese’s way of stopping crimes, however she
understood that Reese was protecting people by using extreme methods. Based on their
similar experience and value standard, she and Reese were best friend, although
they never shared the same belief, which in Carter’s mind was the system, the
government, but Reese strongly opposed to. Starting with capturing Reese, she
eventually trusted Reese from her bottom of her heart. Carter was the best
police. She dedicated her whole life on improving her corrupt society. When Carter
was killed in the show, millions of fans were heart-broken, they love this
character too much. Though it was sad that Deceive Carter left the POI team forever,
her death was actually quite predictable, since Carter had sacrificed for her
justice so much that she could no longer be protected by the system which she
trusted. Kind of ironic, is it? In general, Joss Carter was definitely the most
memorable character in POI. Her toughness and talent well demonstrated how strong
the modern woman can be.
Personally speaking, Samantha
Groves is the most mysterious character in the show. Behaving as an anti-functioning
sociopath, (Yep, she totally acts like Sherlock at some point.) she is highly
unpredictable and scary sometimes. When she first shows up, her identity is a
hacker and a killer, although when her first meeting with John Reese and Harold
Finch was achieved by pretending to be a psychotherapist and then she kidnapped Finch.
Root does not trust human being and she also hates people very much. Her only purpose
in the first, second and third seasons is to let the Machine free. She has
extremely strong obsession with the Machine, that’s also the reason why the
Machine choose to talk to her. Ever since she have real conversations with the
Machine, she can evolve into the “god mod” which is interpreted as capable of
knowing everything. Root is really intimidating especially when she is in “god
mode”, and she do not like the common sense that killing people is a bad thing.
Hence, in my point of view, she is a super smart crazy bitch. I called her a
bitch does not mean I dislike her. Actually I like her very much because I agree
her opinions on people, we truly are bad codes, and I like her unique personality.
Root kind of represents the women’s role in the modern technological world. Women
are extremely outstanding and we are not inferior to men. We can easily create
chaos if we want to, just like Root, DON’T EVER UNDERESTIMATE US. Root’s sismantic
(/romantic) relationship with Shaw is also fascinating. Although I haven’t watch
the recent episodes which Shaw gave Root a goodbye kiss yet, I am pretty certain
that Shaw and Root are not just friends. If eventually the writers decide to
say that Shaw and Root are real couple, I am totally going to cry with cry.
Zoe Morgan does not show up in
the show that much comparing to other three female characters I talked before. She
is more like a traditional woman compare to Shaw, Deceive Carter and Root, at
least I think that way. Unlike any of them, she is tenderer since they all are very
good at shooting people but she rarely does that. Unlike Shaw and Root especially,
she is more mature and calm. Zoe does not have tough physical ability to fight with
man, but she is skilled in manipulating people. Charming, attractive and tactful
are prefect words for describing her. Working as a “fixer”, Zoe helps the rich
and the powerful fix problems in the story. Since she is the person assisting behind
politicians, she is closer to the grey area. However she knows what she is
doing and what is right. In the show, Zoe is John Reese’s lover ever since they
meet, but they never admit their relationship. She is also one of the most indispensable
members in the POI team.
Carter, Shaw, Root and Zoe are the main female characters in the POI, nonetheless, there are numerous great women characters polishing the show as well. As I said in my last post, Person of Interest is definitely one of the most feminist TV show that I have watched before. Women are just as powerful as men in this show. Overall, the writers did a wonderful job on creating charming female for the audience. I hope that the writers can maintain their attitude and value on women, show women’s greatness towards the end.
 |
|
|
 |
| Kara
Stanton (copy from:tv.com) |
No comments:
Post a Comment