Thursday, March 19, 2015

Medicine


Music is an essential element of any video. The function of great background music in movies or TV shows including helping audiences understand the information in the videos and coloring the atmosphere. Person of Interest has pretty good music background producers. They applied various genres of music in the show and help to develop the story. This time I will talk about my best song in the POI – Medicine sang by Daughter.

Daughter is an England band formed in 2010, not really very early. I don’t think they were or are popular in America, because they like to play electronic folk music not mainstream pop music or country music. The singer of this band has unique mellow voice. She is not like highly skilled singer, but her voice can bring peace and comfort to the audience. This band also likes to write powerful and dolorous lyrics.

I don’t really sure whether the song Medicine is saying a sad story or a hopeful story, but the melody is more heartbroken than buoyant. In the end of S03 E20, this mirthless music corresponds perfectly to the plot in the show: sad, helpless and lose. At the end of the third season, Harold and his POI team lost one of the most important friend – Carter, and were facing deadly threats from the new civil surveillance system – the Samaritan. So, this time period is the hardest for them. They also faced an extremely tough problem: Should they kill one person in order to save more people including save themselves? Although it will not be a surprise that Harold chose not to kill anyone even himself may end up be sacrificed, the whole scenes of Harold arguing with John were still sad and intense. When the POI team eventually were chased by gun shots, and they got no place to hide, the atmosphere got even more heartbroken.

The song –Medicine using the bass of piano creates serious and heavy feelings. Electronic devices construct a sense of barren through electronic noise. Piano was invoked as the major instrument throughout the whole song, so the song was not quiet and pure. All these elements fused with the mellow voice of the singer, creating a perfect soundtrack for the show.

In this episode, the producers played the entire song. This is not common that TV show plays the full vision of a song since they usually do not have much time and it is not necessary. However, in this episode they chose to play the entire song for lengthening the mournful moment. And I love it.

You guys should totally check out this song – Medicine. Daughter also has some other beautiful songs like Suits and Youth. But my point is, POI truly have very good background music producers. They excellently corresponded the music with the scenes and present the audience a wonderful watching experience.


4 comments:

  1. I also think that background music is important for mood swing or change in scene. Personally, I prefer the musics from Hans Zimmer, who wrote many famous Hollywood movie songs. I think that the effective portrayal of event or main character heavily depends on music, not only in TV show, but also in movies

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yep, I totally agree with you. Music is very important in both TV shows and movies. I think Hans Zimmer is very famous, but he mainly produce classical music? I don't really know.

      Delete
  2. Yeah music is so essential for any video- A video without music? It's like french fries without ketchup. I haven't really heard of the band, Daughter, but I'm always opened to new types of music and musicians. I do get the hard feelings from the piano in the song, but I like it. You know I listen to a lot of hip hop and EDMs, but I think this song is a fresh try for me. Well done, Zoe Laura Dallars (a.k.a Du Huixun) :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. hhhhhhhhhhhhhh! Yes, that'y my freaking long name! We truly should discuss music together sometimes

    ReplyDelete